47 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Sell Faster
With the high inventory of homes on the market today, homebuyers can afford to be choosy. Buyers are looking for the best, so a home for sale can easily slip through the cracks if it’s not in pristine condition. Use these 10 tips to whip your home into shape and wow potential buyers:
Throughout the House:
- Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight.
- Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
- Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
- If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
- Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well
- Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
- Air out your home for one-half hour before showings, if possible.
- Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
- Put family photos in storage.
- Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
- Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
- Fix any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
- Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
- Repair or replace any loose or damage wallpaper.
- Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
- Wash all windows inside and out.
- Use plants in transitional areas of your house.
- Make the most of your attic’s potential.
- Remove and/or hide extension cords and exposed wires.
- Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
- Remove all smoke and pet odors.
- Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
- Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
- Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
- Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
In the Bedrooms
- Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
- Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
- Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
- Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms
- Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
- Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling whtie.
- Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
- Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
- Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
- Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
- Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkways, and patio.
- Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
- Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered swept, and in good condition.
- Paint all entrance doors.
- Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
- Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lambs, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
- Trees and scrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
- Use a new doormat.
- Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
- Be sure the front door and screen door work perfectly.